Another Sunday morning adventure. This one is a bit of a cheat though. When little one was … littler … I would make these often for her breakfast. I fell out of the habit once she discovered Nutella. Oh the wonders of Nutella.
I couldn’t find my original recipe for lemon blueberry muffins that I had tweaked and perfected so I sat down with good old Google and found a new one. This one comes from gimmesomeoven.com.
- 1.5 cups blueberries (fresh is best!)
- 2 cups flour for mix + 3 tbsp to roll the blueberries in
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.5 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 7 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (I used juice of a whole lemon)
- 1 tbsp lemon zest (I zested 1.5 lemons)
Streusel Topping Ingrediants
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 0.25 cup raw sugar (I used brown sugar)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with paper lines or cooking spray
- Have a dishwashing assistant stand by…
- Prepare streusel topping by combining ingredients in a bowl
- In another bowl, toss the blueberries with 3 tbsp flour until they are coated and then use a slotted spoon or strainer to remove excess
- In another bowl (or an electric stand mixer), combine butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla, milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, and continue whisking until smooth.
- Add flour mix (keep mixing to a minimum!)
- Use a spatula to gently fold in the blueberries.
- Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full with batter. Sprinkle streusel topping over each cup.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes (until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean).