Little one has asked me to start making breakfast every Sunday morning. I honestly think its because she just wants to make sure I can cook as good as daddy (not even close!)…
So begins the adventure of trying to make cinnamon rolls from scratch. The recipe is from food.com with some modifications suggested by the comments.
Cinnamon Rolls (No Yeast)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder (variation: 3 teaspoons baking powder)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- (variation: 1 egg)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- For the filling, in a small bowl combine softened butter, brown sugar and cinnamon to form a crumbly mixture.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the mixture over the bottom of a 9×9 pan (variation: I used a 9 inch spring form pan)
- In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in softened butter (sometimes your hands are the best tools).
- Stir in milk to form a soft dough.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick.
- Spread the remaining filling on the rolled out dough.
- Roll up the rectangle, with a sharp knife slice into 18 small rolls (12 if you want them a little bigger).
- Bake for 20-25 min.
- For glaze, combine powdered sugar and milk in a small bowl and stir until smooth.
- Once rolls are finished, drizzle on glaze and serve warm.
I think the end result was definitely yummy but needs some tweaking.